Piloting Full Subject-Based Banding starting 2020
Two aspects of the Full SBB Pilot in Bowen
- The Form Class, where they will build their socio-emotional skills and take hands-on subjects like Art, D&T and F&N. Students will also do CCE, Music and PE in their form class. The Form Class will comprise students from all 3 streams.
- The Teaching Group, where they will take subjects like EL, MTL, Maths, Science, etc. pitched at the level which will suit their learning ability.
- NA and NT students who are strong at EL, MTL, Maths and/or Science and who meet MOE-criteria, can study these subjects at NA / Exp levels1.
- Express students will offer these subjects at Express level.
- This two-class arrangement will give them both the opportunity to socialise and build a strong sense of community, as well as the opportunity to study EL, MTL etc. with peers who can spur them on.
- In the form classes, we will implement ‘buddy groups’ comprising 2-4 students, for students to provide mutual support. We will have ‘Class Bonding Time’ every Friday for the classes to do something fun together (eg, play a game) regularly.
- Students will attend enrichment programmes in both their form class (E.g. Leadership programmes) and teaching group (Learning Journey to Science Centre) so that the students will be able to enjoy the best of both worlds.
- Overall Average of 60% and above
- Geography 75% and above
- History 75% and above
For More Information
A briefing will be conducted for the Sec 1N(A) students and relevant information sent to Sec 1N(A) parents on Wed 4 Sep. After the Overall Sec 1 results are released (early Nov), eligible students and parents will be informed and given 3 working days to reply. Thereafter, bridging assignments will be given to prepare them for the Exp level subject in 2020.
We will share more information about the Full SBB pilot at our Open House on Sat 16 Nov 19. Besides the various subject and programme booths, there will be 3 Principal’s talks, at 9am, 10.30 am and 11.30am. Meanwhile, if you have queries, please contact us at email@example.com.
School Executive Committee
- NA and NT students, who do not meet MOE criteria to offer these subjects at Exp / NA level from Jan 2020, can aspire to do well and study hard. If they meet the criteria at mid-year / year-end of 2020, they will be offered these subjects at E/NA levels.
- Currently, NA and NT students, who meet the relevant criteria to transfer streams to Exp / NA at the end of Sec 1 or Sec 2, are offered the chance to transfer. With Full SBB, this will continue to be the case.
- Geography and/or History at Sec 2N(A) level will be made available for Sec 2N(T) students starting from 2021. More details will be announced in due course.